Friday, March 6, 2009

Unorganized Chaos

I had been told that keeping things clean once you had a baby was very difficult, but I had no idea that it started before the baby even came!!!
This was Siena's changing table with all of her clothes (minus a big tote full). I am fully aware of the fact that my daughter has a LARGE wardrobe for an unborn child, but that's what happens when you have older sisters who are done having children. The mess was driving me crazy, and I was convinced that there was NO way that we could actually use this once she came, so I decided to do some organizing.
First I made all of these storage cubes! Melanie posted this tutorial on her craft blog, and I just had to try it! I was thinking that I would make one or two, but instead I made 10. The tutorial is to make 6" cubes that are perfect for holding small things, but since Siena doesn't have a dresser or a closet (and won't until after we move) I needed really big ones to hold all of her clothes. I made some 12", some 9", and some 6". The other thing that I did different was rather than putting cereal box cardboard inside to keep them sturdy, I used foam board so that they would be a little stronger. And, I hand sewed all of the corners down! They turned out great, and I am so excited with the finished product!
But, after all of the organization, I still felt like something was missing, so I made this name garland (out of the same book that my mom bought me). It turned out so cute. Please don't maximize these pictures, I tried to quilt around the letters on my machine, and they do not look that great! Here's an example of what each of them looks like up close. This was super easy to make, and didn't take very much time at all. I had never done any type of applique, so that took me a minute to figure out, but I love it!!
And here is the finished product! I am now officially ready to change her little bum on the top of her changing table (don't worry, we are going to get a changing pad!!). Oh, I can't WAIT for her to get here!!!

6 comments:

Christine said...

I love, love, love the storage totes! Adorable and practical. I have a few store bought ones for the kids room. You are one crafty mama!

Tyson and Courtney said...

I absolutey love those storage cubes! I want to try and make some...but I might be calling for help since I'm a little disabled when it comes to sewing! I love this craft blog by the way!

Amber said...

Mal - I love the new blog! You're amazingly talented and dedicated - go you!

Amy said...

oh, you're so crafty! You are the pregnant woman I WANTED to be with Lily-- all prepared and everything. We were in Taiwan up until a few weeks before Lily was born, so I barely had time to buy the carseat :)

Blake and La-Shana Francom said...

Mal! Great job! These are all so cute!!

Melanie said...

Oh I am so glad you started a craft blog. I wondered when somebody else was going to. I love your storage boxes. They turned out so cute. I might have to hand sew my corners down too. That was a great idea. I'll be excited to see what you do next.